Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Presence Example/ Heavy Metal Concert Experience





As I waited in line at the amphitheater to the heavy metal concert, I couldn’t help notice the type of people that surrounded me. How would a traditionalist label them: misfits, degenerates or criminals? I decided to talk to the girl in front of me, covered in tattoos and piercings, I didn’t know what to expect. I started the conversation commenting on how slowly the line moved, she politely agreed. I then followed the conversation complaining that I had to use the bathroom in the worst way.



____




I couldn’t believe what I heard; she generously offered to let me go ahead of her and all of her friends. Surprised at her generosity I graciously accepted. Later, I had a hard time finding my seat when I noticed the tattooed girl again. I decided to ask her for help. She and her friends showed me to my seat. I looked around at the audience and noticed no fighting, hitting, or killing. Instead everyone was singing, cheering and chanting the band’s name for an encore. As I walked to my car I thought of how boring my night would have turned out if I believed the heavy metal stereotypical prototype.

No comments:

Post a Comment